Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
HELP - I had a fire! - What do I do now?
After you have called the fire department and the fire is out:
1. Call SERVPRO of Canton or SERVPRO of Washtenaw County to schedule their trained technicians to begin mitigation ASAP
2. Call your insurance company
Is it safe to be in your home - Did the fire department give you the OK - if so:
3. Limit your movements to prevent soot particles from being ground into the fabric and carpet
a. Place towels or old linens on rugs, furniture and carpet traffic areas
b. Don't attempt to wash any walls or surfaces or shampoo the carpets
4. If the electricity is off, empty the refrigerator and freezer and prop open the doors
a. Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages
5. Don't use or clean any appliances or electronics until they have been checked out
6. Change the HVAC filter
a. Tape a double layer of cheesecloth over air registers
7. Don't turn on any ceiling fixtures if the ceilings or wet or damaged
8. Move valuables to a safe place
9. Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner, improper cleaning may set the smoke odor
10. Wash house plants on both sides of the leaves
Rely on the professionals and trust that SERVPRO of Canton and SERVPRO of Washtenaw County will make it "Like it never even happened".
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (734) 697-3320
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.